Check Out The New Mercedes-AMG GT R Packed With Motorsport Technology. Never before has Mercedes AMG packed so much motorsport technology into a production vehicle than into the new AMG GT R. The heart of this new high-performance athlete, the AMG 4.0-litre twin-turbo engine, has an output of 577 hp, which is 74 hp more than the previous top-of-the-range GT S engine. The peak torque of 516 lb-ft is available between 1,900 and 5,500 rpm.
The seven-speed dual-clutch transmission configured in transaxle layout at the rear axle has likewise been extensively revised by the AMG developers. First gear in the AMG SPEEDSHIFT DCT 7-speed sports transmission has a longer ratio, while seventh gear and the final drive have shorter ratios to allow a more agile acceleration experience.
The suspension of the new AMG GT R is designed for racetrack use. Wishbones, steering knuckles and hub carriers on the front and rear axles are manufactured out of forged aluminium in order to reduce the unsprung masses.
Aerodynamics engineers and designers worked together intensively during development of the AMG GT R. The low-slung front section and the forwards-inclined radiator grille create a distinctive “shark nose” impression and make the car appear to sit lower on the road.
The specially developed exhaust system not only delivers genuine racing car sound, it also saves around six kilograms of weight compared with the AMG GT S thanks to the use of titanium for the rear silencer and thin-walled stainless steel for the front section of the exhaust system.
*European specification; US figures may vary.
- Handcrafted AMG 4.0L V8 biturbo with dry-sump lubrication
- 577 hp and 516 lb-ft of torque
- 0-60 mph in 3.5 seconds; top speed of 198 mph
- Active rear-axle steering
- First-ever 9-mode AMG TRACTION CONTROL
- Extensive use of carbon fiber in key areas to lower the center of gravity and add torsional rigidity
- Aggressive active aerodynamics coupled with an advanced cooling system
- Wider front and rear fenders by 46mm and 57mm, respectively
- Exclusive new color:”AMG Green Hell Magno”
- New face of AMG: the Panamericana Grille, inspired by the AMG GT3 racer
- Prominent central exhaust outlet with standard AMG Performance Exhaust