The Young African Leaders Initiative (YALI) was launched by President of the United States Barack Obama as a signature effort to invest in the next generation of African leaders. The need to invest in grooming strong, results-oriented leaders comes out of the statistics: nearly 1 in 3 Africans are between the ages of 10 and 24, and approximately 60% of Africa’s total population is below the age of 35. Who will empower and lead these young Africans? Who will shape the future of business and entrepreneurship, civic leadership, and public management?
The RLC SA will, in collaboration with its partners, develop the 21st century skills that are the indispensable currency for participation, achievement and competitiveness in the global economy. In pursuit of these ideals, the RLC SA aims to:
- Create critical thinkers
- Solve complex and multidisciplinary problems
- Foster entrepreneurial thinking
- Innovative use of information, knowledge and opportunities
- Encourage communication and multicultural collaboration
- Create awareness of contemporary African issues
- The program is open to young African leaders aged 18 – 35 years old depending on their level of experience and track record in their chosen sector. Participants must meet the following criteria:
- Age (18-35)
- English language proficiency
- Portuguese speaking participants will be accommodated in the Mozambique Hub at UEM
- A commitment to positively impact Africa, their own countries as well as communities
- Demonstrated leadership capabilities and interest in Public Management, Entrepreneurship Development and Civic Leadership
- Commitment to serve the development agenda of the African continent
- Young leaders from the following countries are eligible to participate in the programme: Angola, Botswana, Comoros, Lesotho, Malawi, Madagascar, Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia, Seychelles, South Africa, Swaziland, Zambia and Zimbabwe.
Selection Process and Criteria
- Selection for participation in the YALI RLC SA will be conducted by a selection panel which will use the following criteria to evaluate applications: Requirements:
- A proven record of leadership in public service, business and entrepreneurship, or civic engagement. They can be new entrants in public and private service institutions looking to develop their leadership abilities.
- Proven record of knowledge, interest, and professional experience in the sector/track selected.
- Proven record of active engagement in public or community service, volunteerism, or mentorship.
- Selected participants applying for the contact session must be willing to travel to the RLC SA in Midrand, Johannesburg or Maputo for the duration of the program.
- A commitment to apply leadership skills and training to benefit your country and/or community after the program.
- Good interpersonal and communications skills
- Knowledge of youth leadership and development issues
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Demonstrate the ability to work in a small or large team setting
- Proven computer skills
- Cultural sensitivity
- Positive attitude
- Dedication, responsibility and reliability
Application Deadline: July 31st 2017