The Klaus-Jürgen Bathe Leadership Scholarships are awarded on an annual basis to selected UCT undergraduate students with demonstrated leadership potential, for the purposes of financially supporting the scholars as they continue with their chosen degree programmes at UCT, at the same time developing their leadership potential through additional Programme activites, to better prepare them for eventually taking up significant leadership roles in South Africa or other African countries.
- The Klaus-Jürgen Bathe Leadership Programme is open to all undergraduate students enrolled in any of the six Faculties of UCT.
- Students can apply in their first year of study, or after completing first year. However, there must be at least two years of the degree programme remaining at the time of award.
- The scholarship cannot be held for a period less than two years.
- Postgraduate students are not eligible.
- While it is expected that the majority of scholars will be citizens of South Africa, candidates from other sub-Saharan African countries are also welcome to apply.
- However, a condition for non-South African candidates is that they must demonstrate a commitment to remain in South Africa and serve the country for at least 10 years after their studies.
- They must also commit to serving their own countries.
- The scholarship offers full financial support to the value of R120,000-00 per year, intended to cover tuition fees, accommodation, meals and an allowance for books, stationery and transport.
- The scholarship will also entitle the recipient to a 6-week internship in the USA, Germany or South Africa, the costs of which will be met by the Programme.
- Scholars will be required to take the normal courses of their degree programs, plus two additional courses intended to develop leadership qualities.
- Scholars will also be required to spend up to 6 weeks attached to an approved organization in South Africa, Germany or the USA, gaining exposure to sound leadership practices.
Application Deadline: 31st August 2017
For more information click here.