The Beamline for Schools (BL4S) competition offers high-school students the chance to conduct a real experiment at a real research laboratory has become a very popular science competition that has so far motivated almost 10,000 students to learn about particle physics.
In 2019, CERN is collaborating with DESY in Hamburg, Germany. DESY is a world-leading accelerator center and Germany’s national laboratory for particle physics, accelerators and photon science. It offers particle beams and infrastructure that allow for a very wide range of experiments in particle physics, detector development, and multidisciplinary science.
- All participants will receive a certificate.
- Short-listed teams win a BL4S T-shirt for each team member, a cosmic-ray detector (CosmicPi) for the school, and – for some – the chance to visit a nearby physics laboratory.
- For the winning teams, nine members and up to two adult coaches per team will be invited, all expenses paid, to DESY for 10-12 days to carry out the experiments.
- High-school students of all nationality aged 16 and older are eligible.
- Younger students may form part of entering teams, but they cannot be invited in case of winning the competition.
- Have to make a team of at least 5 members.
- Have to have at least one adult coach.
Eligible Regions: Open for All
Apply online through the given link.
Application Deadline: March 31, 2019