We compile a list of things to make your life easier in the kitchen
- Salvage salty soup by adding a peeled potato (which you will remove before serving). It will act as a sponge, absorbing salt.
- A squeeze of lemon juice helps red vegetables keep their colour during cooking. This also works with white vegetables but not green as they will turn muddy looking.
- Make skinnier sauces easily. I a soup, sauce or gravy is too fatty or greasy, turn off the heat and let it cool. Place a few ice cubes on the surface. The oil that is close to the ice blocks will solidify making it easier to scoop out
- You can stop your pasta from sticking stirring in a little sauce immediately after draining. Or if you are serving it later,rinse under cold water then just reheat the pasta directly in the pan of the sauce
- Use a washed bottle of tomato sauce to squeeze out pancake batter instead of ladling. This makes perfect, top notch spherical pancakes
- Banish oniony fingers by rubbing them on a stainless steel spoon to absord the smell. The sulphur from the onions bi D’s with the metal in the steel(so wash the spoon afterwards)
- Stop sore onion eyes by sticking your head into the freezer for a few seconds after cutting onions. Cold air stops tears and reduces redness by constricting blood vessels
- If you have run out of vegetable oil and need to recycle some you have already used,pour it into a pan and gently heat with some slices root ginger for about 15 minutes. When you scoop out the slices they will have absorbed any flavours and smells