The Masters in Public Policy and Governance programme is an outcome of a partnership agreement between Africa University and OSISA which started in 2009 with the aim of developing a three-week capacity building programme for mid-career policy practitioners working in the public and private sectors. This postgraduate degree programme is designed to address both the demand side of intellectual capacity challenges that civil society leaders and policy makers face as well as the supply side constraints that policy makers in the state and elsewhere encounter around not just the formulation of policy, but more especially the implementation thereof. The course is organic, modern and relevant for our times as it is a product of interaction with civil society, state and academics over the last five years of OSISA’s work and partnership with the Africa University in this particular area.
The goal of the Guy Mhone Scholarship is promote open society ideals and societies in southern Africa by strengthening the capacity of emerging civil society leaders to understand, articulate and advocate for progressive, transformative policies the generation of knowledge, skills and attitudes in public policy responsive to the development and democratic-oriented challenges in Africa.
The Guy Mhone Scholarship includes the 1 return cheapest airfare travel expenses. Accommodation and meals during semester breaks are not covered.
Successful applicants will be contractually obligated to return to their place of work for an agreed period of time in order to give back to their community and organisation. Furthermore, during the period of study, students will be expected to contribute pieces of written work to the OSISA website as well as longer academic pieces for the Journal of Public Policy in Africa (JOPPA). Scholarship recipients are particularly encouraged to explore areas of research related to the following areas of study:
- Natural Resource Governance and Policy in Africa
- Climate Change and Environmental Sustainabilityin Africa
- Marginalisation and Exclusion in Policy Making
- Democracy and Governance in Africa
- Renewable Energy Policy
- Social and Economic Justice
- Economic Policy, Trade and Development in Africa
- Science, Technology and Innovation (STI)
- Policy Design, Monitoring and Evaluation
- Gender and Policy Making in Africa
- Health Care and Health Policy in Africa
- Migration and Refugee Policy in Africa
- Resilience and Sustainable Cities in Africa
- Any candidate working in the field of policymaking and policy implementation is eligible to apply. Candidates must have attained a CGPA/GPA of 3.0 B grade or better.
- In addition, this scholarship is for candidates from the following SADC countries:
(Angola, Botswana, DRC, Lesotho, Malawi, Mozambique, Namibia, South Africa, Swaziland, Zambia and Zimbabwe).
NB: Application for scholarship is a separate process from application for admission.
For more information regarding graduate application please visit www.africau.edu website OR make inquiries at firstname.lastname@example.org .
Required application documents:
Motivation Letter of about 300 words
Certified Academic Certificates
CV of not more than 2 pages
Deadline for applications is the 30 June 2017.
The semester starts on the 14 August 2017.
For Guy Mhone Scholarship application send to:
Mr. Chupicai Shollah Manuel: Project Administrator
Tel:263-20-66788 Ext. 1153
To make your application for the Guy Mhone Scholarship click here.