Gynecomastia or man boobs is the swelling of breast tissue in men and boys caused by a hormone imbalance. It affects about 40-60% of the male population in the world. Here are some of the facts you need to know about the condition.
1. Gynecomastia in puberty
Gynecomastia can also be caused by the over-development of breast tissue in men often caused by an overabundance of female hormones in the bloodstream during puberty.
2. Man boobs can be classified in two types:
1.true gynecomastia- which is caused by the growth of glandular tissue of the breast
2.false gynecomastia- which is also referred to as pseudogynecomastia is caused by an accumulation of adipose tissue in the area surrounding the male breast. Pseudogynecomastia can be treated only with diet and exercise.
3. Drugs used to treat various medical conditions can also trigger the growth of man boobs for example:
-Calcium antagonists (nifedipine and anti-hypertensive drugs)
-Anti- antrogens and estrogens used in therapies to treat prostate cancer
-Anti-ulcer drugs such as cimetidine and ranitidine
4. Another common way of developing gynecomastia is previous use of anabolic steroids
5. Some types of gynecomastia require treatment
There are a number of different types of gynecomastia that require treatment which are:
2.unilateral puffy nipples
3.adult onset gynecomastia
6. If the gynecomastia is mild it can be treated with liposuction.
-Liposuction like vaser lipo is said to give better results without scarring.