The topic of mental health is becoming an increasingly important subject in our present day. With current affairs causing unpredictability in ordinary people’s lives there has been an increase in issues with mental health. Many campaigns are being held around the world to raise awareness towards mental health. Below are facts about mental health that could help you or those close to you.
1.There are many different mental disorders, with different presentations. They are generally characterized by a combination of abnormal thoughts, perceptions, emotions, behaviour and relationships with others.
2. Mental disorders include: depression, bipolar affective disorder, schizophrenia and other psychoses, dementia, intellectual disabilities and developmental disorders including autism.
3. There are effective strategies for preventing mental disorders such as depression.
4. There are effective treatments for mental disorders and ways to alleviate the suffering caused by them.
5. Access to health care and social services capable of providing treatment and social support is key.
6. Mental illness and intellectual disability are not the same.
7. Depression is the leading cause of disability worldwide.