Prudence Katomeni Mbofana affectionately known by her fans as Prue is a talented Zimbabwean Jazz musician, and has one of the most soulful voices in the country. She rose to prominence when she was the lead vocalist in the band, Jazz Invitation releasing hits such as BP and Ruva Rangu. Prudence is arguably the best female jazz musician, Katomeni has toured extensively in the UK, Germany and Norway among other countries.
Here are the top ten things you didn’t know about Prudence below:
1. Prudence was born in 1977.
2. Prudence attended Avondale Primary School where her teacher identified her music talent a a very tender age. She also attended Girls High School in Harare.
3. In 2009 she graduated with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Jazz Music from the Zimbabwe College of Music.
4. She began her music career at the tender age of 8 where she began singing, her passion for music grew with her as she also grew up. This led her to join school choirs throughout her primary and high school life.
5. At the age of 15 she (now affectionately known to her fans as Prue) had lent her voice to two of Zimbabwe’s household name Albert Nyathi and Tanga wekwa Sando for their music projects.
6. After completing her ‘A’ levels she joined a band called The Vice, where she was the youngest member, she gained considerable experience from the band and later moved Jazz Invitation.
7. Katomeni was to stay with the band for over a decade, as a leading vocalist for the band, Katomeni made the band popular with the hit BP. The song which was accompanied by a sizzling video got favourable airplay on the Zimbabwe Broadcasting Corporation (ZBC-TV).
8. She made a debut in 1993 when she featured in the movie More Time when she was only 14, the movie went on to win many accolades. She also featured in Rumbi Katedza’s Playing Warriors where she was the lead actress.
9. She launched her solo career in 2011 with the release of her album Prudence in 2011, the album carries songs with themes ranging from lovers to disgruntled housewives.
10. Katomeni is married to prominent radio personality, Comfort Mbofana who works for Star FM.