Many students planning to study abroad are required to take the TOEFL test. The TOEFL, or Test Of English As A Foreign Language, is an exam designed to measure fluency in English. There are four sections to the test including reading, listening, speaking and writing. TOEFL tests give foreign students access to English speaking countries such as the UK, Australia, New Zealand and the United States of America. In some instances non-English speaking countries may also require this test. If you are about to take a TOEFL test it’s important to be well prepared. Take the 10 tips below to Study for the TOEFL.
1. Give yourself plenty of time to prepare.
2. Always think in English and have conversations in English.
3. Learn English grammar.
4. Learn to recognize the parts of speech in English such as nouns, verbs, adverbs, adjectives, pronouns, conjunctions, prepositions, and interjections.
5. Learn some idioms, synonyms, antonyms and proverbs to make your language more colourful.
6. Read a lot of literature in English including magazines, newspapers, and short articles.
7. Write as much as you can in English.
8. Take a TOEFL practice test which you can take online or purchase a test preparation book such as Barron’s TOEFL.
9. Buy TOEFL prep books which will familiarize you with the structure and content of the test.
10. Keep taking the tests until you feel confident.